The first coworking space was founded in Berlin by Hackers in the year 1995, with and idea of sharing thoughts, space, and information to complete day to day work tasks by its members. The word “coworking” was first used by Bernard De Koven, who often described it as “working together as equals.” Individuals who are self-employed or working for different employers but can share ideas with tools and coordinated meetings through a computer network. A space opened in New York that same year by a software company with a flexible desk setup. Coworking is a type of arrangement in which numerous workers from different establishments share an office space, which helps in cost savings and convenience through the use of common amenities, such as equipment, utilities, and receptionist and protective services, and in some cases refreshments and parcel acceptance services. Coworking setup is appealing to independent contractors, independent scientists, telecommuting, professionals working from home, and people who travel frequently. Moreover, coworking setup also helps reduce the isolation many workers may encounter while telecommuting, traveling, working from home, the setup also reduces distractions. Coworking is not only about building physical space it is also about building a coworking community first before considering opening a coworking place, however, some coworking places don't build a community, these coworking spaces even get a part of an existing one by combining their opening with an event which attracts their target group. Some coworking spaces are all about selling desks initially and building community for them is a secondary goal. Most of these coworking spaces target freelance, remote workers, and small to medium enterprises (SMEs) who need a space and seek a community with a collaborative spirit. Clients also often benefit by the coworking professional services such as printing or incorporation of companies or consulting. Coworking is diverse from business accelerators, incubators, or an executive suite, these kind of setups do not fit into the coworking model because they elimination aspects like socializing, collaboration, and informal aspects which are an integral part of a coworking space. Community building is a major focus for a coworking space rather than just profit, some coworking spaces also indulge in practices like bar camp and different technology events for its community.
Coworking Space in India
Advantages of Coworking Space:
- Motivation: There is a lot of energy of productivity in a coworking area as the room is fill with energetic people who are filled with motivation
- Community: These kinds of setups have a sense of community in places with regulars and familiar faces, and it is amazing to see how far, above and beyond the community goes to help each other succeed.
- Flexibility: The biggest advantage of a coworking setup is the kind of flexibility it offers in terms of lease where you can sign a much flexible deal rather than signing a long-term lease as in conventional setup. This in turn is a great help for startups with small bootstrap budgets, and even independent freelancers can find affordable options.
- Networking: Another benefit of a coworking space is the opportunity of networking especially when you have so many people with so much in common, it’s only a matter of time until you start to network and new opportunities start to flow organically.
- Getting Outside of the Home: Working from home is great, but it’s easy to fall into a rut, too. Being around other people is good for your spirits, it can keep you sharp and is great for creativity.
List of coworking space providers with cities in India:
- WeWorks: Gurgaon, Bangalore, Mumbai, Pune, Chennai, Hyderabad, Noida.
- AWFIS: Delhi, Gurgaon, Bangalore, Mumbai, Pune, Chennai, Hyderabad, Noida.
- 91 Springboard: Delhi, Gurgaon, Bangalore, Mumbai, Pune, Chennai, Hyderabad, Noida.
- Regus: Delhi, Gurgaon, Bangalore, Mumbai, Pune, Chennai, Hyderabad, Noida.
- Innov8: Pune, Chennai, Hyderabad, Noida, Delhi, Gurgaon, Bangalore, Mumbai.
- Ikeva: Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, Mumbai.
- Avanta: Delhi, Gurgaon.
- Cowrks: Bangalore, Delhi, Noida, Gurgaon, Chennai, Hyderabad, Mumbai.
- Workafella: Hyderabad, Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai.
- SmartWorks: Delhi, Gurgaon, Bangalore, Mumbai, Pune, Chennai, Hyderabad, Noida, Kolkata.
- Apeejay: Kolkata, Delhi, Gurgaon, Hyderabad, Mumbai, Pune, Chennai.
- Redbricks: Hyderabad, Mumbai, Pune